The Hall of Truth

Cauldron of Lies
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Bluorange
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:11 am 

Nanoko wrote:
I watched REPO: The Genetic Opera the other day. Great movie.

I love REPO the same way I love The Spirit. It was so hilariously bad almost to the point of offending my senses that I couldn't get enough of it. I really hope that is also what you meant.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:02 pm 

No, REPO was simply one of the most brilliant movies I've ever seen.

What with the flawless acting, unique yet coherent plot (a feat rarely accomplished in movies ever), great tunes, and gore, what's not to love? For the first time in movie history, dark humor is also introduced in a musical, which is by itself an act of brilliance. This combined with of course the execution; which features some of the most beautiful ambient lighting in a film since the first Psycho. It was evident throughout that the gore was entirely necessary in demonstrating the brutality of every one of the characters, and this bleak future; not just a cop-out device used to keep the cathartic ones of us entertained because we can't enjoy the amazing plot at hand.

If you can't appreciate REPO for what it is, then I suspect you have some severe taste issues, or are maybe just offended by films as dark as this and shouldn't be watching R-rated movies anyway. In either case, your opinion is completely invalidated.

I haven't seen The Spirit, but from that post, I have sufficient evidence to believe that that film will be equally brilliant in every aspect.

I loved the scenes where characters breaking out into song were so unnatural that even the actors seemed to be phased by the poor singing of the others. That is, of course, right before joining in themselves.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:06 pm 

Nanoko wrote:
It was evident throughout that the gore was entirely necessary in demonstrating the brutality of every one of the characters, and this bleak future; not just a cop-out device used to keep the cathartic ones of us entertained because we can't enjoy the amazing plot at hand.
*raises hand, puts hand down*

I enjoyed the movie too, and it is indeed extremely dumb. It's endearing how clever and edgy it thinks it is when in reality it is actually much like a small, retarded, three-legged puppy.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:39 am 

See, I didn't know how to reply to KG's question. I really did love the movie, and it really was stupid, but I could never at any point tell if any of it was supposed to be just that inrcedibly silly. And see, at other times, I had questions myself regarding WHY I enjoyed certain parts of the movie. Were they well-made stupid fun? Or just stupid? Or just completely intentional and thus well-made?

I have no idea. Overall I really loved the movie, so I just went with 'great.'

I would have simply replied "Would I have it any other way?" [Where do I put a comma after that, if at all?], but that would imply that I only enjoy stupid movies ever.

Agh whatever.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:46 am 

I think it was intentionally silly and trashy, but I also think that they wanted it to be better quality than it actually was. Whatever campy tastelessness ensued in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, for example, that was still a well-executed piece of trash cinema with great energy, catchy music, effective comedy, excellent performances and creative art production. It's a stupid movie, but it's also got this wild Avant-garde quality to it that makes it strangely good in spite of the fact that it is so shamelessly bad.

Repo! didn't have any of that... well, except Anthony Head, his performance is good. Mostly the movie smacks of a bunch of untalented hacks trying to be creative and dark and edgy and original in a way that they really aren't, but there's something oddly endearing about watching a bunch of untalented hacks trying to be creative and dark and edgy and original in a way that they really aren't. I guess I would call it an Ed Wood effect.

Tosh. I enjoyed it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:48 pm 

This topic has officially ruined my life.

It started when I was watching The Hangover for the umpteen brazilionth time with some new friends, and I noticed some serious bluoranging going on.

Then I noticed that I was wearing a teal shirt.

And that the room was orange.

And it was blue outside.

And everyone's flesh tones.

And that the cabinets were blue.

What's the quickest way to blind yourself?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 pm 

That's the punishment you get for thinking Zach Galifianakis is funny.

A screwdriver would work, I should think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:01 pm 

i ghink it worked/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:47 pm 

I ghinked your mom.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:00 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:32 pm 

Dang.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:12 pm 

That's a little bit over the top.

Also, after posting in another phpBB 3 forum, I just realized how much I miss Quick Reply. I should add that here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:59 pm 

I caught the first ten minutes of Dragonball: Evolution yesterday and it was the most overwhelming BLUORANGE I've ever seen.

Goku, wearing a TEAL AND ORANGE SWEATSHIRT, looks over at some girl in his class who is wearing an orange dress and has very orange skin; he imagines her in a field of orange flowers below a big blue sky. The screen was literally over 85% blue and orange at any given time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2