The Hall of Truth

Cauldron of Lies
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dick and Assholes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:37 am 

Dude, there's nothing wrong with typing "penis" and "breasts." It's not like they're bad words or anything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:50 am 

TITS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:35 am 

Since this thread persists, did anybody read the Cracked Topics this morning?

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4261-dali-paintings/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:27 pm 
Pave the Moon - Webmaster

I did.

Quote:
3. His work is noted for its rich symbolism (dicks), incredible craftsmanship (really pretty dicks), and optical illusions (dicks made up of a number of smaller dicks).

Also, isn't the bare minimum of comics to become an author 10? E-man's got like 8 to go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:06 pm 

Quote:
3. His work is noted for its rich symbolism (dicks), incredible craftsmanship (really pretty dicks), and optical illusions (dicks made up of a number of smaller dicks).

Composite dicks?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:42 pm 

Lyarnos wrote:
Why do YOU consider one acceptable and the other not? Don't tell me it's because television and mom and pop told you so, I don't want to hear that bullshit. You have a mind of your own, if you're eighteen then you are legally capable of deciding what is personally good for you.

I don't mean to re-bring this up, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in here.

Violence is a little bit more acceptable because, well, when we were children, all the cartoons and shows portrayed it as having comedic or action-y values to it. If there were any sex jokes on television, they were either really rare because they usually couldn't get past the censors (except for in Animanics) or we were too young to get the joke. Moreover, we were brought up to believe that sex is more raunchier than violence because it was used in a naughty way instead of a entertaining one. Sex could entertain, but it wasn't usually the main focus of the show. Slapstick is far more acceptable just because it's more entertaining.

Though me, I like both and they both make me laugh. However, I wouldn't want to see either extreme on television, such as explicit sex or someone getting violently beat down. But I don't watch those shows to begin with so I'm good.

LeoModesto wrote:
If you knew, they'd be bad ninjas.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:44 pm 

Afrohawkman wrote:
Lyarnos wrote:
Why do YOU consider one acceptable and the other not? Don't tell me it's because television and mom and pop told you so, I don't want to hear that bullshit. You have a mind of your own, if you're eighteen then you are legally capable of deciding what is personally good for you.

I don't mean to re-bring this up, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in here.

Violence is a little bit more acceptable because, well, when we were children, all the cartoons and shows portrayed it as having comedic or action-y values to it. If there were any sex jokes on television, they were either really rare because they usually couldn't get past the censors (except for in Animanics) or we were too young to get the joke. Moreover, we were brought up to believe that sex is more raunchier than violence because it was used in a naughty way instead of a entertaining one. Sex could entertain, but it wasn't usually the main focus of the show. Slapstick is far more acceptable just because it's more entertaining.

Though me, I like both and they both make me laugh. However, I wouldn't want to see either extreme on television, such as explicit sex or someone getting violently beat down. But I don't watch those shows to begin with so I'm good.

I hate to tell you this, Lyarnos, but it seems like Afro certainly understands my points better than you do and adds very helpful insight in the process. In fact, I'm quite surprised that he isn't even a moderator!

Lyarnos wrote:
To be honest, E-Man, I'm not sure how much wide appeal your comics are going to have given the creative restrictions caused by your antipathy to just about every normal human behavior. Just throwing that out there.

Alright, so I can't be a very good comic artist unless I incorporate both violence and reproductive themes (although Afro proved to me you can still be funny by just using slapstick alone) into the comics. I think I got violence already down for some time now, but if I must use the latter, I'm going to have to try to use it in a devious way to allow me to express the joke and still get away with it! Besides, I only got eight more tries to do it before I... Well... You know the rest!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:35 pm 

Afro, you missed my point too. I'll come back around after the Oscars tonight and fill you in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:40 pm 

Lyarnos wrote:
Afro, you missed my point too. I'll come back around after the Oscars tonight and fill you in.

No need. I got the whole of what you were saying, I just wanted to bring that one point up. You're not wrong in the slightest, E-man clearly brought it up in a sexual manner that confused the fuck out of us and then tried to cover it up by saying it was for comedic value, though you he clearly said "inflation of women". Which, if you watched a lot of classic cartoons, women barely ever showed up in those cartoons, and if they were in them, they were almost never a part of the slapstick, so he couldn't have possibly gotten inflation and women into the same category without something setting it off.

Moreover, I'm anti-censorship. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Once you get to the age that you can make your own decisions, you can't blame television for what you believe in. It's up to you to believe whatever they say. As for as the difference between sex and violence in television, again, producers can do whatever they want as long as it gets ratings. If I like it, I'll watch it. I find no shame in watching either. I've just grown up with slapstick violence so it's the kind of thing I like.

LeoModesto wrote:

Last edited by Afrohawkman on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 pm 

Yeah, I think I see that you got it, but I'm not sure E-Man got that you got it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:47 pm 

Damn it, I have to edit faster.

LeoModesto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:54 pm 

Afrohawkman wrote:
Moreover, I'm anti-censorship. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Once you get to the age that you can make your own decisions, you can't blame television for what you believe in. It's up to you to believe whatever they say. As for as the difference between sex and violence in television, again, producers can do whatever they want as long as it gets ratings. If I like it, I'll watch it. I find no shame in watching either. I've just grown up with slapstick violence so it's the kind of thing I like.
Agreed and I'd like to add that while it should be up to the individual parent to decide what's good and what isn't for their kids, they're still fundamentally human and aren't necessarily going to make all of the correct choices all of the time and that's something to bear in mind when you're building your own moral code.

(I also find it disturbing that many parents use television to raise their kids and leave it up to the networks to decide what is right and wrong... but that's another thread.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:57 pm 

D'oh! Afro's right about inflation being only for male characters in cartoons! .... And he is also right I only talk about woman inflation! ..... GAH! Now I'm certainly in a kettle of hot water for sure!

..... Oh well... At least Afro pointed out to me that TV is actually at the mercy of the ratings and isn't even controlled by censors. If women inflation is very popular, or parents will be OK with showing their children reproductive topics, then I should expect more of that stuff in TV land.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:45 pm 

Do me a favor E-Man, go read up on censorship in the Reagan era. Celebrities, politicians and television set social trends and morals, not the other way around.

By the way, don't go thinking that just because your inflation fetish is centered around cartoons and doesn't feature any thick cocks that it's less sexual than the good old-fashioned in-out in-out. Hell, it's actually more perverse, it doesn't even have any biological purpose. You dirty pervert.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:41 pm 

I was in the gift shop of the Philadelphia Museum of Art and they had a chalice made up of hundreds of tiny ceramic breasts for sale. It made me rather uncomfortable.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next