The Hall of Truth

Cauldron of Lies
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:04 am 

I- I honestly thought that that was a guy with long hair.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:05 pm 

Photography!

The purple one is my least favourite. I don't like staining photos. And no, the picture preceding it is not the same photograph.

Anyway, comments appreciated, high-res available upon request.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:14 pm 

Spraypaint on newsprint. Will have pictures of these posted in train station soon.

Such are the follies of unrequited love...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:05 am 

I find it awesome that you go to such lengths for your art. It is also awesome that you use a very different style in your art. It is always nice to have variety.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:40 pm 

Put it up today. Forgot to take pictures even though I had a camera with me. Fortunately, I feel someone else will take pictures for me tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:32 pm 

Update: got chewed out for putting it up. Had to scrape it off with my fingernails to avoid further trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 pm 

GOOD JOB PARSHALL

http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/fight5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:25 pm 

New stencil/poster! Also, a brief, undocumented, rough tutorial on my process:

Step one: get a picture of your subject. High contrast is helpful.

Step two: remove all the background information. I actually did this very inefficiently this time by tracing it with a brush tool instead of just doing the polygonal select and cropping to it. Whatever. This picture is actually pretty cool.

Continuation of step two. I did this in the GIMP, which is free, open source software. Woohoo!

Step three: use the threshold tool (or contrast if you want more control) to reduce it to two colours. When working with only two shades, the background has to ALWAYS be contiguous. There can be no floating white in a stencil, so it takes a LOT of consideration for design or it's going to come out terribly. Also, making stencils is the only time you are ever allowed to indiscriminately stretch an image out of its resolution. What's on the image doesn't always affect what's on the poster.

Step four is a branched path. I'll cover both methods:
a) Divide up your image (should be very large), I do it into fourths usually. Crop the edges of the paper (I used an x-acto knife and a ruler) and tape them together to form your picture (packaging tape). The stencil paper is (when put together in this design) 18 by 24 inches, so your image should be no more than 16x22". Tape together the stencil film and tape the image underneath it so they line up.

b) Using an opaque projector, project your image onto a piece of bristol board and trace it with a magic marker. Then cut it out with a razor. Bristol board is harder to cut, but this takes out a couple steps and wastes a lot less paper and ink. I don't have an opaque projector, so I print mine.

Apologies for the quality, these pictures are from my cell phone in a poorly-lit basement. Also, I've been inhaling paint fumes for the past two hours.

Step five: cut it out. I go over it once with an x-acto knife to work out the details, including which I'll be throwing away and what to connect. Look at the hand and the bridge of the guitar for attention to contiguous detail. IT'S HARD. Then I go over with a sharper blade, which for me is a razor wrapped in a tissue. It isn't very safe, but it gets the job done. This step, depending on he complexity of the design takes two to four hours, I guess.

Incidentally, the film I'm referring to is blue stencil film, which I bought from Michael's for $4.50 for a pack of four sheets. To make stencils of this size, it usually takes four sheets. Whatever.

This looks a lot nicer in actuality, I swear.

Step six: paint it. I used newsprint for a canvas, which isn't recommended unless you're making a poster, as then the thinner the paper, the harder it is to get off (and thus the longer it stays). Based on personal experience, I don't recommend using newsprint and wheatpaste indoors.

I laid the stencil flat on my 18x24 newsprint and sprayed it vertically from about six inches away with glossy black spray paint, also from Michael's. It's usually better to go over on newspaper or a practice surface to see if you've any mistakes, but I just went crazy tonight. I purposely oversprayed in some areas to simulate shading.

Your project ends at the previous step if you're making actual art, but if you're making a poster to put up, step seven: cut it out again. I left a half-centimeter margin around as I'm putting this up on a dark surface with which black won't blend in well. This was just freehanded with an x-acto knife and I accidentally ripped it.

Anyway, I'd say it came out pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:50 am 

Cool cool, thanks a lot for going into detail of the process. I've never made a stencil before, and these have been interesting.

One thing though. In the stencil it looks as if you're dancing and have terribly short legs and an abnormal torso.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:52 pm 

Yeah, that is a problem. It's hard to show the depth, id est, how I'm leaning forward, when the stencil is solely monochrome.

It still came out nicely though. Complements my case.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:56 pm 
Pave the Moon - Webmaster

Now I can't stop laughing! That's even better!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 pm 

This is I playing piano. I was wearing a nice vest but it blends in with my shirt.

I need to take better pictures than those with my mobile phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:56 pm 

Nice piano posture! I like the angle the shot was taken with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm 

CHOCOLAAAAAATE

I ran out of black spray paint while painting this one. It's pretty obvious.

Also, in a ... total noob move, I grabbed the wrong can initially and sprayed the right half with acrylic primer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:03 pm 

Not one of you felt this was worthy of comment?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next