The Hall of Truth

Cauldron of Lies
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: The DSP Movie Logs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:49 pm 

I have read the book! Consulting the glossary is babymode.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:01 pm 
Pave the Moon - Webmaster

Enterim prefers not really knowing what any of them are talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:06 pm 

There's a glossary?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:21 pm 

Interview with the Vampire

Great production values, but boy if moody vampires aren't boring and Brad Pitt's hammy acting doesn't make his character any better. Boo hoo, I'm gonna have to live forever and eat people. Look how I over-enunciate every syllable and always keep my shirt open so you can see my waxed vampire chest. I thought at first that maybe it was going to take the vampire metaphor from the social class angle which would have made it more interesting, but that was mangled within the first hour.

That being said, I actually thought Tom Cruise was sort of awesome in this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:41 pm 

I saw Klown Kamp Massacre this morning. It is amazing. All the characters are so incredibly poorly written and stereotyped, the ending is a bizarre mindfuck, and you could fit a bus through the plotholes. The deaths are hilarious, such as one character getting pied in the face and then having a knife stuck through the pie still stuck to his face. Another clown is sexing up a different clown, goes outside to check on something, and then returns, finishes sexing her, and only then realizes that her head is missing. Whoops!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:20 pm 

Image Image

It only took me five years to find a good print of The Church to watch, but by god it was worth it. Once again, Michele Soavi proves his genius as the last (and one of the very finest) genuinely great director of Italian cinema, horror B-movies or no.

A few of the makeup effects are outdated, marking this as an 80's picture, but I would say it easily sits pretty at the top of Soavi's (sadly, somewhat short) filmography with Cemetery Man as one of the most visually stunning and utterly indecipherable horror films ever made, where his talent at constructing hauntingly beautiful moments in drifting, dreamlike atmosphere may very well be at its peak. It may also be, along with Candyman, the last piece of real Gothic horror to see an audience, but by god what a way to go out.

And the soundtrack too. God, what a soundtrack.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:23 pm 

I also liked the shot of the owl in the opening scene, as a callback to the owl mask in Soavi's debut film Stage Fright (which, as a slasher picture, was way better than it deserved to be).

Totally boss movie.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm 

Tales of Terror

I made a horrible mistake, actually. See, I thought this was the 1962 Roger Corman movie called Tales of Terror with Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone in it. I was quite excited to watch it. Then I popped it in and it was some direct-to-dvd bullshit circa 2003 called Dr. Shock's Tales of Terror which undoubtedly collected dust on a Blockbuster shelf for seven plus years, like a beartrap, hoping for some poor fool to (derp) make the mistake of taking it home with them.

Even disregarding my own disgruntledness, it's pretty awful. It even lacks the low-brow, so-awful-it's good charm found in the likes of a cheap Herschell Gordon Lewis splatter movie. It's just cheap and bad.

The whole thing is on YouTube. Just watch it for three minutes and revel in the zero overhead production costs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:26 am 

The Town That Loved Pizza? Really? There's no way this can be gooOHMYGOD THAT IS THE FAKEST KNIFE I'VE EVER SEEN. This isn't even Direct-to-DVD, this is public broadcast system levels of lame. I... I'm so sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:24 pm 

Basil Rathbone was a real name? I thought the author made it up for Measle and the Wrathmonk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:38 pm 

Disregarding that it's on youtube, it feels like a youtube video.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:39 pm 

The difference is that you can buy this, bro.
Tigt wrote:
Basil Rathbone was a real name? I thought the author made it up for Measle and the Wrathmonk.
Not only that, but he was a very popular actor, both as a Hammer player and as the quintessential Sherlock Holmes.

He's pretty much the most British Brit ever, in other words.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:21 pm 

Gonna watch Pink Flamingo. I mean, how BAD COULD IT BE.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:18 pm 

Rubber (2010)

Okay, so I guess it goes without saying that this isn't a movie for everybody, right? So that's out of the way.

I've been wondering since this came out whether it would actually be worth watching or whether it was just a cute concept being stretched way too far, so color me surprised when, expecting simply to satiate my curiosity with a novelty item, I actually enjoyed the crap out of this flick. It's not a horror movie, in spite of what some people are claiming. It's not an action film. What it is, is an absurdist comedy, a pointless film which is funnier for the straight face it puts on. Not to get pretentious or anything, but I thought it carried a lot of the more amusing characteristics of a Luis Bunuel comedy (who never made any movies about living tires but probably would have approved of the concept).

So... yeah. It surprised me and charmed me. Wings Hauser was fine, but the Lieutenant character was by far the funniest of the group. I also enjoyed the direction and that the tire was actually believable as a personality. There.

Image Image Image Image

I sleep now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next