The Hall of Truth

Cauldron of Lies
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: The DSP Movie Logs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 am 

I saw Real Steel and I LIKED IT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:21 pm 

I Saw the Devil (2010)

Pretty disappointing for all of the fuss made over it. Hard as I try, I just can't bring myself to appreciate Jee-woon Kim's work and it was the experience watching this as I had watching his The Good, The Bad and the Weird or Tale of Two Sisters - enjoy the concept, enjoy the photography, but sensing a major lack of discipline in the director.

I Saw the Devil does have a good idea for a movie in it, albeit one that's been done, and it has a great cast, particularly in Min-sik Choi's believable turn as the film's deranged maniac. It's pretty to look at and there are some terrific sequences in it. But it's poorly paced, getting extremely repetitive in the second half of the film, and it's too flashy, bordering on extreme self-indulgence. The gratuity is distracting - not the violence, but how the violent scenarios are executed on film. The sequence in the cab is beautifully orchestrated, for example, but it's the type of showy fight sequence that belongs in a good action movie, not in a slow-burning meditation on the nature of revenge. Here, the stylishness just distracted from the story and whited-out the actual horror of what was occurring onscreen.

I seriously wish I had liked this better.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:15 am 

This isn't a logs thing really, but I wanted to post this somewhere. Check out this cute short film Michael Dougherty made to promote a marathon of his film Trick r' Treat on Fearnet:

I really want to see Dougherty direct another movie. I thought Trick r' Treat was an awesome flick and it's largely down to how flawless Dougherty's direction was... yet he doesn't have any other projects? I remember he was enthusiastic about making a sequel, but given the way the studio treated the first film, I'm wondering if it's there's an issue with securing rights and funding.

I still don't understand why Warner didn't want to release Trick R' Treat in the first place when it was so incredibly mainstream-friendly and likely would have been easy theater profit. It's a mystery.

Here's Dougherty's earlier short film too, just for shits and giggles:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 pm 

The Man with a Movie Camera was pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:54 pm 

Stake Land (2010)

Holy shit, that was a fucking good movie.

Uh, more commentary at a later date, I guess. For now I'll just say that if you are the type that:

A) is tired of all current horror movies being stale studio grime, gory torture films, bad comedies or cutesy post-modern pieces,
B) really, really likes Cormac McCarthy's novel The Road, but is disappointed in the film adaptation and wishes to see a better version of it, or
C) just wants to see a legitimately good, serious vampire movie for once,

... this film might just please you.

Glass Eye Pix is good people, I've decided. They've been doing really nice, ambitious work for years with many excellent films to their name and I'm really glad to see that they're starting to earn a little notoriety for it. Keep on truckin', guys and gals.

Image Image Image Image

P.S. Mister is all kinds of awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:58 pm 

There's a nice little nod to George Romero's Martin in the main character's name, incidentally. Which I'm just mentioning because Martin is a great movie and nobody ever really talks about it any more. If you ever run across it, it's worth seeing.

Here's a trailer too, I guess, although I don't think it's really an accurate representation of the actual film. The movie is a lot slower and moodier, with more focus on the environments and the characters. You get the idea. Action movies with snappy one-liners sell better, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:42 am 

The Loved Ones (2009)

No actual score for this one, because I got bored forty-five minutes into it and started fast-fowarding, but I just wanted to say: christ on a cross, I am so sick and tired of these horror movies that are just a person being tied down and physically tortured for an hour. They're getting to be more common than your standard slasher picture and like the slasher they're all ultimately the same movie: there's a fifteen minute space at the opening where they tease you with the notion of character development, after which there's a "GOTCHA!" moment where main character is attacked/drugged/injured in some manner and spirited away to some secluded place, at which point any sort of story being built is thrown out the window in favor of sticking pins under the fingernails and drilling holes in the poor bastard's skull while he squeals helplessly.

Is torture scary? Yes. I don't ever want to be tortured. Torture is an awful thing that shouldn't exist. There are even many really good movies out there that deal with this fear in an effective way. But these sorts of films, the derivative type The Loved Ones is, the type that just confronts you with the images without doing any hard work to earn their audience, these are boring. Yes, the image of some madman (or madgirl, in this case) carving a person's skin up is guaranteed a physical flinch, but multiply that by an hour and a half with nothing but basic film cliches being thrown in your face to keep you connected to the characters and it just comes off as hate-able. An even worse sin, coming from a viewer who believes that graphic, realistic violence of this level should always have moral consequences, it's so very droll and tiresome to watch.

I will say that, aesthecally, the film is very excellent, if in a way that reminds me a hell of a lot of the underseen and far superior Otis. The direction is capable. The soundtrack is nice. The performances are solid. If The Loved Ones is the sort of film you're into, it's probably worth seeing, but I personally wish I hadn't bothered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:50 am 

AUDREY HEPBURN NIGHT

Breakfast at Tiffany's
was good.

Wait Until Dark
was excellent and crazy! Alan Arkin's dramatic leap at the end was insaaaaaaaaane. If I were a little girl in the theater in 1966, I would have screamed so much. I really like the premise of this movie too. Lots of clever twists.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:19 pm 

Wait Until Dark is awesome.

That's all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:10 pm 

Trailer Park of Terror.

Pretty silly and formulaic. Not godawful, but just status quo in a direct-to-DVD sort of way. Watchable without actually being compelling in any manner.

I don't honestly remember why I wanted to watch this movie other than that somebody recommended it a while back and it pretty much ended up being exactly what I expected when I looked it up. I'll probably forget about it in an hour.

Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:08 pm 

Watched some giallos today.

The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974) - A really slow burner. Nothing terribly unique about it, but it was well-done and managed to keep my attention all of the way through.

The House With Laughing Windows (1976) - I really enjoyed this one a lot. Good starting premise, likable characters, a good amount of tension (I like the idea of the main character having to finish uncovering his fresco to find clues) and quite stylish to boot. It all fell apart in the last thirty second with one of the more ridiculous twists ever conceived for a film, but ah well.

Torso (1973) - Mweh.

Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) - Definitely one of Fulci's better movies. He kept himself surprisingly restrained in this outing and it did wonders, but then of course he had to let it all hang out for the ending with some signature over-the-top gore, obvious dummywork and inappropriate soundtrack choices:

Tarantino and Roth came on each other.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:27 pm 

Drop. Everything. I have found the greatest movie of all time.

Do you like campy monster movies? Do you like parties? Do you like goofy makeup and colorful set pieces? Do you want to see a four-eyed ghoul jam to cheesy 80's reggae music sung by a group of vampires while Vincent Price and John Carradine good-naturedly swap cheesy dialogue about monster genealogy?

The Monster Club is like somebody stole my fourth grade trapper-keeper and turned it into a movie. And Donald Pleasance is there too for some reason that I must have approved of.

I... I am SO happy right now. I'm gonna go cry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:11 pm 

Exte: Hair Extensions (2007)

It feels like a one of the more incidental films in Shion Sono's oeuvre, like a passing joke stretched out into a full feature. With somebody else behind the camera this could have been awful, but as the tense, stylish piece it is I have to say I was thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. Not quite on the same level as Suicide Club or Strange Circus, but still worth watching.

Plus, weird as it sounds, it is oddly impressive for a movie to be that fucking disgusting without resorting to gore or weird fetishes. Hairy tongue, eugh.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:18 pm 

I've been scouring Youtube for all the clips I can find of He Died With a Felafel in His Hand but so far the search is less than fruitful. I'm thinking of waiting for Christmas to get it or my birthday, because from the clips I've seen it looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:00 pm 

The Tracey Fragments (2007)
I kind of ignored this one when it first came out because it looked insufferably indie and gimmicky to me, but it just happened to be in my possession last night and it turns out I both like Ellen Page and absolutely adore director Bruce McDonald's follow-up to this film, Pontypool, so I decided to give it a go. Anyway, it was insufferably indie and gimmicky. There were a few compelling scenes, the acting was solid and... it would make a good music video, I guess? Broken Social Scene has never been better advertised.

Image Image

Definitely, Maybe (2008)
I never really know how I feel about Ryan Reynolds. He's a pretty decent actor, really; maybe he's not the godlike, DeNiro/Day-Lewis torch of acting that Ryan Gosling has been carrying on recently, but he can carry a movie by himself. He also seems a really pleasant person, like somebody you could strike up a conversation on wall-hangings with, and he's really good-looking because you could take him to a public beach without feeling embarrassed. These are all good things to be, even if I find myself personally only managing to dredge up kind of a friendly indifference to him.

So really, he's the perfect candidate for the Hollywood romantic comedy. Middle-aged women can look at him and swoon for a couple of hours, the acting will be fresh enough to make it tolerable to lesser fans of the genre and any husbands dragged along can talk their wives into watching Green Lantern or Buried or whatever later. Nobody gets hurt.

On Definitely, Maybe - I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing, but I'm also not a rom-com buff so what do I know. I find Ryan Reynolds a bit more tolerable as a generically hunky leading man than Ashton Kutcher or Matthew McConaughey though, so that's good I guess? Whatever. Organizing Hollywood leading men into any sort of hierarchy is about as uninvolving as sorting matchsticks.

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next