The Hall of Truth

Cauldron of Lies
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76
 Post subject: Re: The DSP Movie Logs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:05 pm 

Alright, so Tintin's actually VERY exciting, some of the most impressive action set pieces I've ever seen in animation. Everything about it is adventurous and straightforward. There are gunfights, murder, pirates, ancient treasures and conspiracies, all the basic old action adventure tropes that one would expect from Tintin. The cinematography is incredibly creative (or at least I believed,) and the plot (even if it is technically an adaptation of an old Tintin tale and incredibly straightforward) is intense and curious enough to keep a person interested even if they're not there for giant crane battles and naval warfare. My words are so jumbled describing it, but really: very good movie. I want to know how Europe reacts to it, though, because Tintin was never quite that insane.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 pm 

I'm gonna try to summarize these up in one sentence each:

Hugo (2011)
Celebrates the joy of cinema by way of being a big, shiny, bluorangey piece of soulless, if well-intended, trifle whose only inspired visuals were lifted from films that did them better nearly a century ago.

Image Image

Friday (1995)
Somehow, I'd always been under the impression that this movie was probably better than just being some broad Cheech and Chong schtick, although I did get a few chuckles out of the dude who was stealing everybody's stuff (and I did laugh at this obvious but warranted mash-up, moreso than at anything in the actual movie if that tells you anything).

Flesh+Blood (1985)
Amoral depiction of raping and pillaging in the middle ages from the director of RoboCop; the symbolism is interesting, the story mechanisms twisty and dang... that chick was way cleverer than I thought she was.

Image Image Image Image

Kids (1995)
Amoral depiction of sex and violence in teen culture from Larry Clark and the director of Gummo; uncomfortably realistic and guaranteed to make most parents shit themselves fierce.

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:56 am 

Bully (2001)
Thought I'd just go further and make it a Larry Clark double-header tonight. Everybody in this movie is stupid and horrible and the voyeurism was disturbing, but... aw fuck it, that shit was all messed up. Fascinating though. Some details could have been filled out a little more, I thought.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:15 pm 

Rewatching Quadrophenia before work this afternoon. I wouldn't really mention it, except for that I was looking up information on it and the rumor is that Criterion has acquired the film to their library and is going to announce a dvd release pretty soon, which is AWESOME because the movie is awesome and it's insane that it hasn't been released stateside yet. Regardless you should definitely check it out if you haven't seen it, but this just means it will be all that much more accessible.

Girly side note: oh my, how adorable was Phil Daniels back then. Love him in Breaking Glass and Meantime too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:52 pm 

Hey, I'm watching more movies for some reason. Okay, I have that Netflix Instant thing, so I've been trying to watch a movie every night now. Some other stuff wasn't on Netflix, or I went to some event.

Hair (1979) - I do think the original musical must be better than this, because after learning about so many people throughout the movie, the ending caught me off guard. Yes, war is bad, but it was Burger's own damn fault for going so far (spoiler I guess). What I loved throughout the movie was the costume design. The music was great, and what got me into watching it in the first place. I decided I would see it after finding out Boards of Canada made a song inspired by it (note the similar beat).

Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) - A film we watched for class. I liked learning about how certain "events" panned out (such as the Thunder Mountain prank), and also learning about Fairey and Invader. Other than that, it was pretty masturbatory.

Piece by Piece (2004) - Much more informative documentary with more personalities. This was about graffiti while Banksy's film was about street-art, and the difference was very noticeable.

Midnites For Maniacs - Theme: "I'm Black and I'm Proud"
I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka (1988) - Funniest movie out of the trio shown to us. While slow at times, it was hilarious enough to compensate for that.

Pootie-Tang (2001) - One of those movies that you tell everyone you know it's "the greatest movie ever made". If they're curious enough, they'll watch it, and you'll have pulled off successful trolling. It was forgettable. "Sada-tay!"

CB4 (1993) - Strange plot structure, and more serious than funny. It had those good moments (like the final scene after the credits). Also, Chris Elliot. Damn he's good at playing a dork. Midnites for Maniacs ended here.

Helvetica (2007) - Educational, but the kind of educational film you would watch in a class (which I didn't), and dread sitting through, wanting to just fall asleep instead. However, they had Michael C. Place in there from The Designer's Republic, and y'know, that was some great recognition. <3 TDR.

The Secret of NIMH (1982) - First time seeing this (although I had seen bits and pieces at times from having it in the background during after-school waiting-for-parents hours). Awesome movie. Maybe it could have been done better (since it came from a novel), but I don't really see how. I loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:43 pm 

Saw Chronicle. It was actually a really good movie. If anyone's ever pretended to have telekinesis, this is a movie to watch haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:36 am 

Kokkuri (1997)

I didn't know what to expect when watching this one, as I just grabbed it off the shelf with a bunch of other japanese horror and gore movies, so I was pleasantly surprised when the movie opened to great music and nice art direction. In terms of visuals, it's filled with all sorts of things that tickle me in just the right spots -- big, messy abandoned buildings, lots of darkness and gloom, and quiet conversations between friends. One of my favorite scenes was a walk through an underground aquarium; Another was a particularly striking scene was set in a big pool right in the center of a dead and rusty apartment complex, with pipes and grey muck everywhere. Quite a nice setting for a tearful conversation.

It is unfortunate then that the movie was so wholly uninteresting that I can't recommend watching it. It could be that I'm just not a fan of ghost stories, but the plot as a whole was just neither creepy nor interesting to me. I imagine the cultural barrier did play a part in this however, as I of course don't have any connection to the children's game "Kokkuri" the girls in the movie play, which involves summoning a ghost to tell fortunes. It also doesn't help that I couldn't care less about the excessive water and "horrific" little girls imagery, which made the whole thing a boring albeit well-shot mess.

To be honest, I wish this was some sort of sci-fi movie instead. Just something with a nice melancholic atmosphere, and the setpieces already in this movie and I'd be good. Maybe a bit of Giger influence replacing the Ringu worship.
ImageImage

P.S. - Hey Ly, these brunswicks aren't actually transparent :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 am 

A Snake of June (2002)

Wow, this movie was a hell of a trip. I'm already infatuated with Shinya Tsukamoto to begin with (Tetsuo the Ironman is a masterpiece), but this movie really caught me by surprise. It's very moody and elegant, not just dumb fun. The whole thing is shot on 8mm film, and was color graded blue, which gives it a hell of an atmosphere, and goes well with the neverending rain that accompanies the movie (THIS is how you make water imagery interesting.)

The movie itself is about a woman who is getting bored of her marriage, and attracts a stalker through her line of work at a suicide hotline. Things RAPIDLY go downhill from there... and then keep getting worse. It's a pretty damn bleak movie, for sure. It's divided into chapters (female, male, and...) which are distinguished with their own little screen (accompanied by one of the coolest sound effects I've ever heard), and follow different point of views, but the difference is mostly cosmetic, as it follows the same story anyway.

I absolutely love the photography in this movie, and to be honest, the art and sound direction probably ARE the best parts of the movie -- while the story is good, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much were it shot any other way. The music is similarly bleak; simple synthesizers, violins and metal sounds almost entirely comprise the soundtrack, but it explodes in some very intense scenes later on. It's unfortunate that the parts I'm talking about aren't actually on youtube or anything, but there's not much I can do about that.

It's a bit on the explicit side so I can't recommend it to everybody, but anybody that likes Tsukamoto's work or would be interested in a "surreal erotica" as one youtuber called it should DEFINITELY check it out. If you like the art style, then chances are the movie would click with you anyway, and even if the movie as a whole isn't your kinda thing, there's a very visceral 5 or so minute scene in the middle that I think everyone should watch, and makes the whole experience worth it.

ImageImageImageImage

EDIT: Additional brunswick awarded. Fuck the police.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76